Milan A. Shlain
Chemistry PhD Student, Braunschweig Lab
Hunter College - Expected Graduation: 2026
Looking for industrial connections for product development and drug testing for internships and later employment.
As a member of the Braunschweig lab Milan Shlain is looking to develop a high throughput device to identify and discern viruses based on their presented glycosylation patterns. He hopes to achieve this using advanced soft lithography skills to build a solid surface multidimensional probe that can selectively bind to their presenting sugars. When not in lab he enjoys birdwatching, cooking, and playing video games.
High performance Liquid chromatography (HPLC), Gel permeation chromatography (GPC), Solvent free chemical reactions through mechanical milling, Isothermal titration calorimetry (ITC), Differential scanning calorimetry (DSC), FTIR spectroscopy, Organic synthesis, 1H NMR spectroscopy, High Resolution Mass Spectrometry, MALDI- TOF, gas chromatography (GC) Gel electrophoresis, protein expression, Fluorescence microscopy, confocal microscopy, Nanolithography, Nanofabrication, drop casting, spin coating, shadow mask lithography, and Digital micromirror device
Professional Development Skills
• Citation Management – Attended Workshop 11/22
• Career Development - Attended Workshop 12/22
• Science Presentation - Attended Workshop 12/22
1) Bravo, M. F.; Palanichamy, K.; Shlain, M. A.; Schiro, F.; Naeem, Y.; Marianski, M.; Braunschweig, A. B. “Synthesis and Binding of Mannose-Specific Synthetic Carbohydrate Receptors” Chemistry – A European Journal, 2020
2) Palanichamy, K.; Joshi, A.; Bravo, M. F.; Shlain, M. A.; Shiro, F.; Naeem, Y.; Garg, H.; Braunschweig, A. B. “Anti-Zika Activity of a Library of Synthetic Carbohydrate Receptors” 2019, 62, 8, 4110-4119
3) Palanichamy, K.; Bravo, M. F.; Shlain, M. A.; Schiro, F.; Naeem, Y.; Marianski, M.; Braunschweig, A. B. “Binding Studies on a Library of Induced-Fit Carbohydrate Receptors with Mannoside Selectivity” Chemistry – A European Journal, 2018, 24, 13971 –13982.
4) Thakur, K.; Shlain, M. A.; Marianski, M.; Braunschweig, A. B. “Regiochemical Effects on the Carbohydrate Binding and Selectivity of Flexible Synthetic Carbohydrate Receptors with Indole and Quinoline Heterocyclic Groups” Chemistry – A European Journal, 2021, 37, 5262 –5274.
5) Biswas, S., Banerjee, S., Shlain, M., Bardin, A., Ulijn, R., Nannenga, B. L., Rappe, A., & Braunschweig, A. B. “Photomechanochemical control over stereoselectivity in the [2+2] photodimerization of acenaphthylene.” Faraday Discussions. 2023,
• NanoBioNYC Fellowship
• NSF Center for the Mechanical Control of Chemistry