Elma Bibiam Naranjo Estepa
Chemical Engineering PhD Student, Chen & Ulijn Labs
Looking for summer research opportunities for 2025 in the field of materials science.
Elma is co-advised by Prof. Chen and Prof. Ulijn at the nanoscience initiative at the ASRC and is currently working with water-responsive materials, specifically with peptide crystals; she is exploring pre-organization and induced fit within chemo-mechanical peptide materials.
Elma's research journey involves synthesizing and characterizing peptide crystals, employing cutting-edge techniques and state-of-the-art equipment. By carefully manipulating and investigating the structural arrangements of these crystals, she seeks to elucidate the underlying mechanisms that govern their responsiveness to water. Her findings could potentially advance our understanding of the design principles behind novel materials with applications in fields such as sensors, drug delivery systems, and bio-inspired engineering.
Rheology, DSC, TGA, SEM, DLS, XRD, UTM, AFM, DVS, LCMS, PXRD.
Professional Development Skills
• Summer Research mentor, City College of New York on Summer 2022
• Secretary of Chemical Engineering Graduate Student Club, CCNY on 2022-2023
Sheehan, F. K., Wang, H., Podbevšek, D., Naranjo, E., Rivera-Cancel, J., Moran, C., Ulijn, R. V., Chen, X., Aromatic Zipper Topology Dictates Water-Responsive Actuation in Phenylalanine-Based Crystals. Small 2023, 2207773. https://doi-org.ezproxy.gc.cuny.edu/10.1002/smll.202207773
• 11th World Congress of Chemical Engineering, 2023, Oral presentation
• AIChE Annual Meeting, 2020, poster
• 1st Colombian Polymers Conference, 2017, poster
• National meeting of chemical and process engineering students, 2016, Oral presentation
• Mario Galan Gomez Scholarship, 2010, awarded by Ecopetrol (Colombia)
• Andres Bello distinction, 2011 awarded by SABER-ICFES (Colombia)
• Young Researcher scholarship, 2018, awarded by Fundación Ceiba (Colombia)