Chemistry PhD Student, Adam Braunschweig Lab
Looking for summer research opportunities for 2024 in the field of nanotechnology and surface science. Open to learning more about tech companies that work in the areas of biotechnology.
As a member of the Braunschweig lab, Yerzhan Zholdassov is interested in studying kinetics of mechanically driven organic reactions at molecular level. At the core of this study is the desire to develop more sustainable and greener chemical methods to conduct chemical reactions at industrial scale. To make this a reality, Yerzhan uses advanced AFM platform, microfabrication techniques and extended surface analytical tools. Outside of the lab he likes to play soccer and swimming.
AFM (liquid AFM), XPS, ToF-SIMS, MALDI-IMS, Fluorescence Microscopy, Optical Microscopy, SEM (EDS), TEM, Raman Spectroscopy, FTIR, Water Contact Angle, Profilometer, QCM(D).
Professional Development Skills
1. Visiting Associate at the University of Pennsylvania, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics. Pennsylvania, PA, May 2021 – August 2021.
2. Member of the NSF funded Center for the Mechanical Control of Chemistry, 2020 – currently.
1. Zholdassov, Y.S.; Yuan, L.; Garcia, S.R.; Kwok, R.W.; Boscoboinik, A.; Valles, D.J.; Marianski, M.; Martini, A.; Carpick, R.W.; Braunschweig, A.B.; “Acceleration of Diels-Alder Reactions by Mechanical Distortion”; Science 2023, 380, 1053 – 1058.
2. Zholdassov, Y.S.; Valles, D.J.; Uddin, S.; Korpanty, J.; Gianneschi, N.C.; Braunschweig, A.B.; “Orthogonal Images Concealed Within a Responsive 6-Dimensional Hypersurface”; Advanced Materials 2021, 33, 2100803.
3. Valles, D.J.; Zholdassov, Y.S.; Korpanty, J.; Uddin, S.; Gianneschi, N.C.; Braunschweig, A.B.; “Glycopolymer Microarrays with Sub-Femtomolar Avidity for Glycan Binding Proteins Prepared by Grafted-To/Grafted-From Photopolymerizations”; Angewandte Chemie International Edition 2021, 60, 20350 – 20357.
4. Valles, D.J.; Zholdassov, Y.S.; Braunschweig, A.B.; “Evolution and applications of polymer brush hypersurface photolithography”; Polymer Chemistry 2021, 12, 5724 – 5746.
1. Bio-Inspired Green Science & Technology Symposium, 2023. Poster presentation.
2. American Chemical Society National Meeting, 2023. Oral presentation
3. American Chemical Society National Meeting, 2022. Oral Presentation
4. Virtual Systems Chemistry Symposium, 2020. Poster presentation
1. Best Presentation Award, Bio-Inspired Green Science & Technology Symposium ($200), New York, NY, 2023.
2. Pre-Dissertation Science Research Fellowship ($5000), CUNY, New York, NY, 2021.